Friday, April 27, 2012

Garden Butterflies, Angels and a Mini Tutorial!

Mixed Media Garden Scene
*SCACD Hop is Here*

Welcome back friends!  Happy Friday... and YAY, it's the weekend!!!  Do you have some fun planned for the next couple of days?  Either Saturday or Sunday, hubby and I will be going out to celebrate 5 years of being breast cancer freeeeeeee : D  I say breast cancer free cuz two and half years ago, JESUS healed me from uterine cancer.

I can imagine you might be a little skeptical at my last comment.  That's OK...  Here's my story:  JESUS came to me in a dream.  He was on the right side by my head.  I felt wetness on my chest and looked down to see that it was His Blood.  I rejoiced as I knew in my heart that He was fulfilling what He had spoken to me previously:  "Healed By the Blood of the Lamb."

At that point, He reached into my abdomen (which I felt, and moaned in pain) and took something out.  He left then, walking away on my left side...  There's much more to my story, but the main point is to share with you how JESUS HEALED ME!!!


I will continue to shout on the mountaintops that JESUS still heals today.  I have lots more stories of His healing power and His presence.  In case you don't know Him, here's a simple truth:  He is the Way, the Truth, and the Life... He is REAL!


Have you entered my Celebrating 5 years of Healing Candy?  You can enter following the link at the end of this post...


*...and now it's PEEKER time!!!* 


Aren't they just the BEST ever???  If you're following the hop today, you should have come from Donalda's blog.  This is Donalda's last hop with us as a DT member : (   We will miss you, sweetie!!!  If you'd like to start at the beginning, hop on over to Danni's blog.  You'll want to see every bit of inspiration from these oh-so-adorable images!  If you get lost, the entire Hop List is on the Store Blog.


Here's mine... Meadow Peeker by Elisabeth Bell for SCACD from the newly released Peekers 3 Collection.  What a cutie pie!!!


Of course she's stamped with Tuxedo Black Memento Ink and colored with my fave copics.  I've used the following colors:  Fence - E19 E18 E17 E15 E13 E11; Hair - E25 31 YR21, Skin - E11 E00 E000; Dress/flowers - R85 R83 R81 RV00 RV000/Y19 Y11; Grass - G28 G24 G21 G20.  A bit of bling was added to the flowers on her dress with Stickles and I popped on tiny gold pearls for the flower centers and the butterfly bodies.

Everything on this card was adhered using ScraPerfect BEST GLUE EVER!  You already know how much I LOVE this glue!!!


Did you get a good peek at the garden scene at the top of this post?  I LOVE using all the gorgeous colors of Luminarte' micas.  Today I've used:  Pink Azalea, Snap Dragon and Fern.

Here's how I got this look:  I used removable tape to keep the Mini Butterfly Meadow stencil in place on my blue cardstock.  I placed Black Embossing Paste over the open areas (using a small spatula, like icing a cake). Susana carries a Squeegee which would work great too.


Make sure to wash off the embossing paste right away or it will be more difficult to remove.  The photo below shows what it will look like after carefully lifting up the stencil (note:  I decided to use blue cardstock after I took this photo... back to the drawing board!)


At this point, it needs to dry for about an hour.  When completely dry, put the stencil back over the design.  The easiest way to add the micas (for me) is to use an embossing ink pad (I used VersaMark Dazzle), so I tapped the pad over the exposed design.  You can then 'paint' the micas over your design!

Here's my mess before I brushed the excess mica away...


For today's card, I cut and paste various objects of the stencil to fit the space I needed.  As you can see in photo above this one, the whole stencil is a beautiful scene!

I love to add Ice Silks on top of the micas.  It gives it a protective coat and even MORE shimmer!  However... it will make the micas into 'paint' - as in the full grass behind the peeker...  I still LOVE adding the Silks : D.  You can see a close up of this result at the top of this post.  The whole background was painted with Ice Silks!

Time for a Re-Release!!!
Kind of...

Susana is re-releasing the beautiful angels that Elisabeth Bell designed a while back.  They've always been favorites of hers (and yours too???) so here we go (again) lol!

However, I have a special image that is Brand New and exclusive to SCACD.  This is Earth Angel by Elisabeth Bell for SCACD from the Guardian  Angel Collection.


Oh... isn't she a beauty?  I think she's so much fun!!!  I began by stamping the image with Tuxedo Black Memento Ink and colored her with copics:  Hair - E59 E37 E35 E34 YR21 E50; Skin - E11 E00 E000; Pants - B97 B95 B93 B91 B000 C3; Red hearts/patches - R29 R27 R24 R22 R20; Earth - BG05 BG02 BG01 BG000 C3/G20 G21.


Here I want to show you two things... The first is the incredible shimmer and shine from the Solar Gold Silks Acrylic Glaze/Solar Gold Mica Powder combination.  Separately, they are nice... but together, they POP!!!  Actually, the Solar Gold Mica on it's own doesn't have color, but will compliment another color.  So if you want the gold color to come through, you'll need to use the Silks first.  LOVE LOVE LOVE this technique!  I want more Silks lol!

Oh, the second thing I wanted to show you is her wing and the shimmery red cardstock.  I simply painted on a coat of Ice Silks.  On the white, it takes on an elegant look.  On the red, it gives a richness that I haven't been able to reproduce any other way!


The entire card (layers and embellishments) were adhered using my FAVE ScraPerfect BEST GLUE EVER!  Here are the layers:  1. Solar Gold Silks/Mica combo. on all edges of a piece of white cardstock; 2. Red cardstock embossed with Pinstripe embossing folder by Couture Creations, 'stained' with Picket Fence Distressed Stain  and covered with Ice Silks;  3. The decorative circle was cut out with my Cricut and painted with the Silks/Mica combo.; 4. A red circle die cut from largest Classic Large Circle and painted with Ice Silks;  5. Image die cut from largest Classic Small Circle using 'out of the box' technique.   Oooooweeeeeee... get out your sunglasses!!!

My craftroom has been rather warm lately, and I can tell by the way the Opal Paper Pen pearls turned into brads : (   I usually don't have a problem with that!  To finish off the card, I cut a strip of gold tulle which I found on sale at Hobby Lobby - yay!!!  A red heart button from my stash I thought was the perfect touch!

**Our International friends can get these stamps at Quixotic Paperie**

Oops, almost forgot... Here's the link to my Celebrating 5 Years of Healing Candy:  JESUS Heals.

Your next stop is Alex!

Thanks for stopping by.  Hope to see you soon!

May God bless you, keep you and comfort your soul~

26 comments:

SusanLotus said...

Thank you for your tutorial. I find it very useful. :)
Your card looks great and I really love the mixed media background!

Have a nice weekend!

Patti J said...

What an uplifting post! Beautiful projects, and wonderful tutorial! Thanks for sharing :)

Alexandra Lundgren said...

Lori- STUNNING! Thank you for all the details with Earth Angel. You completely ROCKED IT and I love the tulle with it, LOVE!

Carla S. said...

Both cards are absolutely stunning, Lori! Wonderful designs with both gorgeous images! Thanks for sharing your story!

Chrissy D said...

WOW! Love that technique - now I am going to have to get me some of that Embossing Paste!!! Fabulous designs, beautiful coloring and cards! Have a BLESSED day!!!

Shelby said...

Beautiful coloring with both of these stamps! Thanks for the info on the mica powders...what you've done with them is so cool.

Shelby

Anki said...

Love it and this Earth angel is supercute! Kramis - Anki

Lau W said...

So nice creations, love your colouring and thanks for the tuto !
It's fantastic to see that you're ok, so good news ! (sorry for my bad english) !
xxx

Cathi said...

Wow so much information I had to read your post twice. Thanks for the tutorial for I have not tried using micas before not know what they were. (I tagged your post as a reference).

Your cards are beautiful, both are so innovative and creative! TFS

Amanda R said...

Lori first of all congrats on being breast cancer free for 5 years and here is hoping for the same with the uterine cancer. Your cards are absolutely stunning and I really like how you give such great directions on how to achieve those looks, very helpful.

Kathi said...

Thanks for sharing your story. I'm glad you're healthy!

Both cards are amazing.

Thanks for taking the time to explain how you used the embossing paste and Ice Silks.

You're a great enabler as they are both on my "wish list" now!

Pop's Cards said...

Hi sweetie these are both stunning love the colour choices too gorgeous work huggles Pops x x x

cheryl said...

oh wow Hun that is one amazing technique the butterflies,are amazing and just love your card Hun stunning
detail as always hugs Cherylxxx

Lorraine said...

Wow, such beautiful creations, Lori! I love your coloring and ooh on the Luminarte background in your first card and the gold sparkle on your second one!

Danni said...

First so happy to hear the news on 5 years breast cancer free!! Second, these are truly amazing cards!! Love all the techniques/products you used!! Fabulous!

RoseC said...

Awww, Lori . . . these images are wonderful and you've displayed them beautifully. TFS! Hugz, ~ Rose

Lesley said...

Luv your cheerful, magical butterfly garden picture. It's the kind of look I wanted to paint on my balcony wall of my apartment, just a bigger version, to bring nature in.
I bought a mothers day present for my mom, a Tracfone lg500g qwerty keyboard phone ($20, & $7 for service) but I need to give something more personal with the phone. The garden card looks easy to make but totally charming with the glam colors.

miatagal said...

Lori, Your cards are gorgeous; I especially love Meadow Peeker!!

Holly AKA KopyKat said...

these are both so adorable. Yeah for your 5 years, I know that is a huge milestone!

Carol Hirsch said...

Beautiful cards. Love the little peekers. Thanks for the technique tutorial.

Yoshiras time to craft said...

Beautiful dream!So glad to hear you are free from all of that terrible cancer.Beautiful cards.love the colors and your coloring is amazing.

Crystal said...

WOOOWEE Lori absolutely LOVE LOVE both of your creations, STUNNING work sweetie!!!

Dawn Louise said...

Beautiful cards and great tutorial too, x tfs

Teresa Carini said...

I am glad and I share your joy for your healing. I also believe that He works miracles! Also I have faith.
And I love that technique with the spatula. I do not realize what kind of paint is. It was very cute! A hug!

Beate said...

Beautiful coloring and lovely cards.
Hugs and smiles

mapowska said...

I love the last card. It is super! I like that there is the Earth :)

the countdown...

Get your own free Blogoversary button!
Related Posts with Thumbnails